Lemon Chicken Chimichurri Kabobs are great for summer grilling at your backyard bbq. They are made with boneless chicken thighs which stay moist during the grilling process. The kebobs have a lot of flavor from a marinade made with Greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic and seasonings.
The kabobs are served with a fresh chimichurri sauce. It is made with the fresh herbs parsley and cilantro. Shallots, garlic, red wine vinegar and olive oil are combined with the herbs. It is a very flavorful addition to serve with the kabobs.
If you like to grill on skewers, you might also like Honey Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs and Chimichurri Shrimp Skewers which has a chimichurri marinade. Another flavorful recipe for the grill is Balsamic Flat Iron Steak.
SOME THINGS TO KNOW:FAQ’S
SPEECIAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
- Wooden skewers, metal skewers or bamboo skewers
- The amount of time that you marinade the chicken really matters. If you want to get the most flavor, plan ahead and long marinade the chicken at least overnight or up to two days in advance.
- Make sure to soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 60 minutes before using them. This keeps them from burning on the grill.
- Read 3 Ways to Make a Non Stick Grill.
- If you prefer boneless chicken breast, or chicken tenders you can easily substitute them for the boneless chicken thighs.
- If you do not have shallots on hand, red onion or yellow onion can be substituted.
- If you do not have Greek yogurt, you can use any plain yogurt that you have on hand.
- If you want to add a bit of heat to the chimichurri sauce, substitute red pepper flakes for the black pepper.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH LEMON CHICKEN CHIMICHURRI KABOBS:
HOT TO STORE THE LEFTOVERS:
- Place leftover chimichurri chicken skewers into the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- You can also keep the leftover cooked chicken in an airtight freezer container in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- Defrost the chicken in the refrigerator.
REHEATING THE KABOBS:
- You can reheat the chicken kabobs covered in the microwave as long as they are not on metal skewers. Heat for 2-3 minutes or until they are heated through.
- You can also reheat the kabobs in a pre-heated 350 degree oven. Place the kabobs onto a baking sheet and cover them with foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes until they are heated through.
Lemon Chicken Chimichurri KabobsPrint This
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- CHIMICHURRI SAUCE:
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
In a medium size bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Pour this mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Add the chicken pieces and stir so that all of the cubes are completely covered in the yogurt marinade. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. You could also place the chicken cubes and yogurt marinade into a gallon size zip top plastic bag. Seal bag tightly.
For the Chimichurri Sauce, combine the parsley, cilantro, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, shallot, salt and pepper in either a small food processor or blender. Pulse the mixture until it is smooth. This will be the most flavorful if served at room temperature.
About an hour before you are ready to assemble the kebabs for grilling, place your bamboo skewers in a pan of water and let them soak. This will help prevent them from burning during the grilling process.
Place 5-6 pieces of chicken cubes on each skewer, making sure that the skewer is placed into the center of the cube.
Place on your prepared outdoor grill and grill chicken for 10-15 minutes, turning the kabobs occasionally until they are browned and cooked through. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees.You can check this with an instant read thermometer.