Chimichurri Shrimp Skewers are perfect for summer grilling. They are healthy, easy to make and full of flavor.
Chimichurri sauce is an uncooked sauce that was originally created in Argentina. It is made with fresh herbs and can be used in cooking and also as a condiment and dipping sauce. If you are a fan of homemade chimichurri sauce, check out Chimichurri Hummus and Lemon Chicken Chimichurri Kabobs.
If you want to try another flavorful recipe for your summer barbecue check out Balsamic Flat Iron Steak.
This version is made with fresh parsley, cilantro, shallots, garlic, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. The result is a bright and flavorful sauce that is great with meats and chicken as well as with the chimichurri shrimp skewers. The sauce comes together quickly in a blender or food processor and the shrimp cook in minutes. It is one of those recipes that with very little effort you will get great results.
Chimichurri Shrimp Skewers are marinated in some of the sauce to give them great flavor. The remaining chimichurri sauce can be served on the side with the cooked skewers.
If you do not have a grill, don’t worry! The skewers can easily be roasted in the oven or in a grill pan. I have given directions below for grilling, oven roasting and using a grill pan.
Orzo Salad would make a good side dish to go along with the shrimp. It is a light pasta salad that is full of veggies. Another good side dish that you could put right on the grill with the shrimp is Aioli Grilled Vegetables.
If you are looking for another simple fresh shrimp dinner, check out Easy Breaded Fried Butterfly Shrimp Recipe.
SOME THINGS TO KNOW: FAQ’S
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
- Food processor or blender
- Wooden skewers, bamboo skewers or metal skewers
- Large bowl
- You can substitute red onion or white onion for the shallot if that is what you have on hand.
- If you want this to have some heat, replace the black pepper with red pepper flakes. Start with ½ teaspoon first and taste. If you want it spicier, add another ½ teaspoon.
- You can substitute white wine vinegar or lemon juice for the red wine vinegar.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER CHIMICHURRI SHRIMP AND SAUCE:
- Place any leftover shrimp into an airtight container and place it into the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Place any leftover chimichurri sauce into an airtight container and place into the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can freeze the cooked shrimp for 2-3 months. Place the shrimp onto a small baking sheet in a single layer into the freezer. Once the shrimp have frozen, remove them from the sheet and place them into an airtight freezer container. Return them to the freezer.
- Defrost the shrimp in the refrigerator. The shrimp will be best eaten cold or at room temperature.
Chimichurri Shrimp SkewersPrint This
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup fresh parsley (curly parsley or Italian parsley)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Wooden skewers
Add the parsley, cilantro, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, shallots, salt and pepper either into the bowl of a food processor or a blender. Process until the mixture is smooth.
Remove ½ cup of the mixture to use as the marinade for the shrimp skewers.
Add the shrimp to a large bowl, and toss shrimp together with the marinade. Combine well and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place into the refrigerator and marinade for 1-2 hours.
Soak the wooden skewers in water for an hour so they will not burn on the grill. Place skewers into a baking dish which you have added about an inch of cold water to.
Remove the shrimp from the bowl and thread 4-5 shrimp on each skewer if you are serving them as a main dish.
Place the skewers on the grill grates. Grill for 2 -3 minutes on each side until they are pink and opaque.
Place the skewers onto a serving platter with the remaining Chimichurri Sauce on the side.
TO OVEN ROAST:
*You do not have to have a grill to make these. If you want to roast them in your oven, assemble the skewers and follow the directions below.
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Arrange the skewers in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast the shrimp until just opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes.
Place the skewers onto the grill pan over medium heat and let the shrimp cook for 2 -3 minutes on each side until they are pink and opaque.