Chicken Piccata Soup is the perfect blend of comfort and zest. It has the traditional flavor of Chicken Piccata, transformed into a hearty, warming soup. The brightness of lemon, the punch of tangy capers, and the richness of heavy cream make Chicken Piccata Soup comforting and flavorful. The addition of orzo pasta and shredded chicken makes it a complete meal.
This simple recipe has a cooking time of only 20 minutes and a few simple steps which makes it a good choice for a weeknight meal. Serve it with a glass of white wine and some crusty bread and you are good to go!
Chicken Piccata is a an Italian classic recipe where chicken cutlets are cooked to a golden brown and served in a creamy lemon sauce with lemon slices. It makes a great meal for special occasions or a dinner party. If you like the fresh flavors of lemon chicken piccata, check out Chicken Piccata Pasta. It has a creamy lemon caper sauce and lots of great flavor. If you want to try another chicken dish made with boneless skinless chicken breasts and a delicious sauce , check out Creamy Lemon Chicken which is shown served with Lemon Asparagus Pasta.
If you like the delicious flavor of lemon in a chicken soup check out Lemon Chicken Soup and Lemon Chicken Rice Soup. Classic Chicken Noodle Soup is a good choice too. They are all great recipes for flavorful hearty soups.
SOME THINGS TO KNOW:FAQ’S
- Capers add a briny, savory hit to all kinds of dishes, including signature caper recipes like chicken piccata. Read What are Capers and How Do You Use Them? to learn more about them.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
- Large Pot
- Shallots can be replaced with diced onions for a slightly different but equally delightful flavor.
- For a lighter version, use half-and-half instead of heavy cream. You could also use whipping cream. For a dairy-free option, coconut cream works well.
- If you do not have orzo pasta, rice or small pasta shapes such as Ditalini can be used as a substitute.
- If capers are unavailable, green olives finely chopped can mimic the flavor of briny capers.
- Fresh parsley can be used in place of the dried parsley flakes. Multiply the quantity by three when substituting fresh for dried. You could also use other fresh herbs like thyme or basil.
- Vegetable oil or canola oil can be substituted for the olive oil.
- The fresh clove of garlic can be replaced with a teaspoon of garlic powder.
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN PICCATA SOUP:
- Store the soup in the refrigerator if you plan to consume it within 3-4 days. Allow the soup to cool to room temperature then place it into an airtight container.
- You can freeze the soup for 2-3 months. Use airtight freezer-safe containers or heavy-duty freezer bags to prevent freezer burn. Leave about an inch of space at the top of the container or bag to allow for expansion as the soup freezes.
- For best results, thaw the frozen soup in the refrigerator overnight.
HOW TO REHEAT CHICKEN PICCATA SOUP:
- To reheat the soup on the stovetop ,place the soup into a large saucepan and reheat it on the stove over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- To reheat the soup in a microwave oven, place the soup into a microwave-safe container. Cover it with a microwave-safe lid. Reheat on high, stirring every minute or so, until the soup reaches the desired temperature.
Cook the shallots and garlic in the butter and olive oil.
Whisk the flour into the shallots and onions.
Add the chicken broth. Bring it to a simmer and add the orzo pasta and chicken.
Stir in the cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, capers and parsley.
Chicken Piccata SoupPrint This
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup shallots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup capers
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
In a large pot, melt the tablespoons butter and olive oil over medium heat.
Add the chopped shallots and minced garlic. Sauté until the shallots are translucent and garlic is fragrant. Do not let them brown.
Sprinkle in the all-purpose flour, whisking constantly to create a roux. This will be the thickening agent for the soup.
Gradually add the chicken broth, whisking continuously to avoid lumps.
Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat.
Add the orzo pasta and cooked shredded chicken to the pot.
Lower the heat to medium low and let them simmer until the pasta is al dente. This will take 7-8 minutes.
Pour in the heavy cream, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stir well to incorporate.
Add capers and dried parsley flakes. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper.
Give it a final stir and let it simmer for 10 minutes so the flavors can meld.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Enjoy your Chicken Piccata Soup!