Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni is a simple yet flavorful pasta dish that can be prepared in just 20 minutes. This pure comfort food meal is perfect for busy weeknights when you need a satisfying dinner after a long day and don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
The simple creamy sauce is made with a blend of cream, wine, mushrooms and Italian sausage. It comes together quickly while the pasta water comes to a boil and the rigatoni cooks. For those who prefer a vegetarian option, the rich and creamy mushroom sauce can also be served on its own without the sausage.
Not only is Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni an easy weeknight dinner, but it’s also an excellent dinner recipe for entertaining. The recipe can be easily doubled or tripled to accommodate larger gatherings, making hosting a breeze.
Make a batch of Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni for a quick and tasty meal that’s perfect for any occasion. With its simple preparation and flavorful sauce, this pasta dish is a one that will have everyone asking for seconds.
If you like easy creamy mushroom recipes, check out Creamy Mushroom Spinach Bowties, Creamy Mushroom Pappardelle and Creamy Mushroom Spinach Chicken. They are all simple quick fix dinner recipes that are perfect for weeknight meals.
SOME THINGS TO KNOW: FAQ’S
- Check out How to Select, Store and Clean Mushrooms to start off with the best ingredients.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
- Large pot to cook the pasta
- Large saute pan or skillet
- You can substitute the sweet Italian sausage with hot Italian sausage or turkey sausage.
- You can substitute the fresh white button mushrooms with a 10 ounce canned mushrooms, drained. Fresh Crimini mushrooms can also be used.
- You can substitute the yellow or Spanish onion with chopped white onion, leeks, or shallots
- You can substitute the garlic cloves with ½ teaspoon garlic powder or 1 teaspoon garlic paste.
- You can substitute: the olive oil with vegetable oil, canola oil, or sunflower oil.
- You can substitute: 1 cup white wine with 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth mixed with 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or lemon juice.
- You can substitute the kosher salt with ¼ teaspoon sea salt or ¼ teaspoon table salt.
- You can substitute the crushed red pepper with ¼ teaspoon chili flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- You can substitute the chopped fresh parsley with 1 teaspoon dried parsley or Italian seasoning.
- You can substitute the heavy cream with 1 ½ cups full-fat coconut milk, 1 ½ cups whole milk mixed with 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter or heavy whipping cream.
- You can substitute the grated parmesan cheese with ¼ cup grated Romano, Asiago, or Pecorino cheese.
- You can substitute the Rigatoni pasta with a different type of pasta like Penne or Ziti. They are all tubular pasta shapes.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER MUSHROOM SAUSAGE RIGATONI:
- Let the Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni cool down to room temperature before storing it. Do not leave it out for more than 2 hours to avoid bacterial growth.
- Transfer the leftover pasta to an airtight container. You can use a large airtight container or individual portion-sized containers to store the leftovers. This will help maintain freshness and prevent the dish from absorbing other odors in the refrigerator.
- Seal the container or containers tightly and place them in the refrigerator. The leftovers should be consumed within 3 to 4 days.
- Because this is a cream sauce, freezing the leftovers is not recommended. Dairy based sauces can curdle and separate when frozen.
HOW TO REHEAT LEFTOVER MUSHROOM SAUSAGE RIGATONI:
- When you’re ready to enjoy your leftovers, reheat them in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally to avoid scorching on the bottom of the pan. You may need to add a bit more cream or wine to the saucepan to thin the leftover sauce.
- You can also reheat individual portions in the microwave. Use a microwave-safe container and cover it loosely with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap. Heat on medium power for 1-2 minutes, then stir and check the temperature. Continue heating in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the dish is heated through
Cook and drain the rigatoni pasta.
Cook the sausage in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook until they have released all of their moisture. Add the onions and garlic.
Add the wine, heavy cream, salt and red pepper to the skillet. Let is simmer and reduce a bit. Add the Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes uncovered until the sauce thickens.
Add the rigatoni to the skillet. Combine it with the sauce and simmer a few more minutes.
Creamy Mushroom Sausage RigatoniPrint This
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage (3 links)
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms (Baby Bella or white) sliced and roughly chopped
- ½ cup chopped yellow or Spanish onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine ( I used Pinot Grigio)
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces Rigatoni pasta
Start by placing a large pot of salted water on the stove over medium-high heat for boiling the rigatoni pasta. Cook pasta according to the package directions for al dente pasta.
While waiting for the water to boil, begin preparing the creamy mushroom sausage sauce.
First, wash and slice the mushrooms, then roughly chop them, keeping some larger pieces. Peel and chop the onion, and mince the garlic cloves. Set these ingredients aside for later use.
Remove the sausage from its casing and heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the sausage to the skillet, breaking it up with a fork as it cooks. Cook sausage for 5-7 minutes, or until it is no longer pink.
Add the chopped mushrooms to the skillet. Continue cooking until the mushrooms release their moisture and become soft and slightly browned.
Add the the onions and minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Pour in the white wine, heavy cream, salt, and red pepper flakes. Let the mixture simmer on medium low heat uncovered until it reduces a bit.
Add the parsley and parmesan cheese to the skillet. Let it simmer on low heat until the sauce begins to thicken, which should take about 5 minutes.
In the meantime, cook the rigatoni pasta according to the package directions for your desired tenderness. If necessary, keep the sauce warm over very low heat while the pasta finishes cooking.
Once the rigatoni is cooked, drain it. Add the rigatoni to the the creamy mushroom sausage sauce and stir everything together until the pasta is well coated with the sauce. Simmer for a couple more minutes to heat the pasta through.
Garnish the dish with additional chopped fresh parsley and serve with additional parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy your delicious and comforting Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni dish!