As the warm days of summer roll in, what could be more satisfying than the cool, creamy delight of homemade gelato? And not just any gelato, but a fresh, vibrant Blueberry Gelato that perfectly captures the season’s spirit! This summer dessert is a great combination of simple, high-quality ingredients. Ripe blueberries, velvety heavy cream, wholesome milk, egg yolks, sugar, and a hint of vanilla are the simple ingredients that create this creamy, delicious dessert.
Creating this delightful Blueberry Gelato recipe at home is not just about enjoying a summer dessert. It’s about learning the art of homemade gelato making, appreciating the simple pleasure of fresh ingredients, and of course, having fun in the process. If you have an ice cream maker sitting in the back of your pantry, it is time to pull it out!
For a refreshing summer drink, check out, Blueberry Sparkling Lemonade. It is a perfect way to keep cool on a hot summer day.
If you like to bake with blueberries, check out the Blueberry Category. There are lots of recipes here for cakes, pies, muffins and pancakes. You might also like 20 Easy Recipes to Bake with Fresh Summer Blueberries.
SOME THINGS TO KNOW:FAQ’S
WHAT IS GELATO?
- The word Gelato means ice cream in Italian. Gelato is made with the same ingredients that you will find in ice cream, it is made with more milk than cream. Check out Gelato vs. Ice Cream: What’s the difference?
- Gelato is traditionally served using a flat spatula called a spade instead of a round ice cream scoop.This helps to soften it.
- Gelato is served at a slightly warmer temperature that ice cream. Let it sit out for 10-20 minutes to soften before serving.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
- Ice Cream Machine
- Blender or Food Processor to make the blueberry puree.
- Large saucepan, medium saucepan
- Fine mesh strainer
- Rubber spatula
- If you do not have fresh blueberries, frozen blueberries will work. They can be added to the pan with the sugar while still frozen.
- If you want to change the flavor, substitute 2 teaspoons of lemon juice for the vanilla extract.
STEPS TO MAKING BLUEBERRY GELATO:
Start with the Blueberries
Prepare the Custard Base
The Cooking Process
HOW TO STORE BLUEBERRY GELATO:
- Make sure that you place your gelato into an airtight freezer container with a tight fitting lid so it will not form ice crystals.
- Place the gelato at the back of the freezer so the warm air will not reach it when the freezer door is opened.
- Storing the gelato for a prolonged time can affect the texture and taste. Use the gelato within 1-2 weeks.
Blueberry GelatoPrint This
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Wash your blueberries and combine them in a medium saucepan with ½ cup of the sugar.
Let them heat over medium-low heat until the blueberries burst and the sugar dissolves. Turn the burner to low heat and let the mixture simmer until it thickens. Stir with a rubber spatula and press on the berries to break them down. This process will take about 10 minutes. Let the mixture cool slightly to room temperature.
Place the blueberry mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until it is a smooth texture.
Strain to remove any skins using a fine mesh strainer. (This is optional)
Whisk together the egg yolks and the remaining ½ cup sugar in a large saucepan. Add the heavy cream and milk to the saucepan. Stir to combine well.
Heat the mixture over medium heat, constantly whisking , until it just begins to simmer. Do not let the mixture boil.
Remove the mixture from the heat.
Stir in your blueberry mixture and vanilla extract to the gelato base.
Pour the mixture into a large bowl.
Let your mixture cool in an ice bath, stirring until it reaches a low temperature or place it into refrigerator to cool for 1-2 hours.
Once cooled, transfer your mixture to an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Freeze your gelato for at least 2 hours to allow it to firm up before serving.
Serve up your homemade Blueberry Gelato and enjoy the refreshing taste of summer.