Chicken Parmesan Calzone are a combination of two Italian favorites. The flavors of chicken parmesan are folded inside fresh pizza dough and baked until nice and crispy with gooey cheese inside. This is a combination that the whole family would love. With a baking time of only 20 minutes this would make a fast weeknight dinner or game day snack.
If you want to try another classic tomato and parmesan combination check out Meatball Parmesan Casserole.
SOME THINGS TO KNOW: FAQ’S
- Always opt for fresh, good-quality chicken. If using frozen chicken, ensure it’s properly thawed in the refrigerator before cooking. You can also use leftover roasted or grilled chicken, shred it, and then mix with the marinara and cheese. Read How to Handle Raw Chicken Safely.
- Freshly grated cheese melts better and tends to be more flavorful than pre-packaged shredded cheese.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
- Skillet or Frying Pan: For sautéing the chicken and garlic.
- Mixing Bowl: To combine the chicken with the marinara sauce and cheese.
- Rolling Pin: To roll dough to the desired thickness.
- Rimmed Baking Sheet: To bake the calzones.
- Parchment Paper: This is optional but helps prevent the calzones from sticking to the baking sheet.
- Pastry Brush: To brush the egg wash over the calzones for a golden finish.
- Fork: To seal the edges of the calzones and create a decorative pattern.
- Sharp Knife or Pizza Cutter: Useful for cutting the pizza dough
- Substitute the boneless chicken breast with turkey breasts or boneless chicken thighs.You could also use cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken or chicken tenders.
- If you do not have marinara sauce you can use any store-bought pasta sauce or pizza sauce.
- Mozzarella Cheese can be substituted with Provolone cheese.
- Parmesan cheese can be substituted with Pecorino Romano or Asiago cheese.
- Substitute canola oil or vegetable oil if you do not have olive oil.
- If fresh garlic is not available you can use ½ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- If you do not have dried Italian seasoning you can use ½ teaspoon each of dried basil leaves and dried oregano.
- You can use milk or cream to brush the tops of the calzones if you do not have an egg.
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN PARMESAN CALZONE:
- You can store the calzones in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Before storing, allow the calzones to cool to room temperature on a wire rack.Once cooled, place the calzones into an airtight container or wrap them individually with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Properly stored, calzones can last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let the calzones cool completely before freezing. Wrap each calzone individually in plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil. This double wrapping prevents freezer burn.
- Defrost the calzones overnight in the refrigerator.
HOW TO REHEAT CHICKEN PARMESAN CALZONE:
- To reheat the calzones in the oven, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Place calzones on a baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until heated through and the crust is crispy. When reheating in the oven, placing a piece of aluminum foil over the calzones can prevent them from getting too brown while ensuring the insides get hot.
- The microwave is faster, but the crust might not be as crispy. Heat on medium power for 2-3 minutes, turning halfway through.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the garlic and the chicken with the Italian seasoning.
Combine the cooked chicken with the marinara sauce and ½ of the Parmesan cheese.
Divide the pizza dough into four equal parts. Roll the dough into balls.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into a 7″ circle.
Spread the chicken mixture over the right half of the dough. Layer the mixture with slices of mozzarella cheese.
Brush the egg wash over the top of each calzone. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese over the tops.
Chicken Parmesan CalzonePrint This
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1 pound pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a skillet over medium low heat, warm the olive oil.
Add the minced garlic and sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute.
Add the diced chicken and Italian seasoning. Cook until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from heat.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken, marinara sauce and ½ of the Parmesan cheese.
Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal sized balls.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll each piece of dough into a 7″ circle.
Place the circles of dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
Spoon one quarter of the chicken over the right half of the dough circle.
Cover the chicken mixture with the mozzarella slices.
Fold the dough over to create a half-moon shape. Seal the edges by pressing down on them with a fork.
Beat the egg and brush it over the top of the calzone.
Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese equally on tops of each calzone.
Place the calzones into the preheated oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the calzones are golden brown.
Serve the calzones with a side of marinara sauce, extra cheese and crushed red pepper flakes.