If you want to make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread you need to plan ahead if you want this to be amazing. You need to buy bananas way ahead of time and let them get very ripe. The riper they are, the moister and flavorful the bread will be. When the bananas are turning black they are at very best. Don’t be concerned if they are caramel color when you peel them and kind of mushy. This is what you want because these are going to make a moist and sweet banana bread. Trust me.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is everything that you love in a banana bread but with chocolate. It doesn’t get much better than this!
SOME THINGS TO KNOW:
- If you do not want to use butter in this recipe, some good substitutes are margarine, a light olive oil, canola oil or vegetable oil.
- You can also bake this bread with whole grain wheat flour. It will change the texture but still tastes delicious and gives you some extra nutrients.
- If you do not want chocolate chips, simply leave them out or swap them for chopped walnut or raisins.
- You can also bake this as 3 mini loaves. Check out the baking directions below.
- Leftover banana bread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap.
- You can freeze the banana bread for 2-3 months in an airtight freezer container.
- Defrost any frozen banana bread by placing it onto a wire rack.
Chocolate Chip Banana BreadPrint This
- ⅓ cup butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups mashed bananas (4 overly ripe bananas)
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan (see note)
Stir together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
Beat the butter until creamy. Add in the sugar, then the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
Add one cup of the flour mix to the butter mixture and mix well. Next add half of the mashed bananas and mix well.
Add the remaining flour mixture and bananas, mixing well after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure everything has been well mixed in well.
Add the chocolate chips and stir in on very low speed.
Place the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50- 55 minutes, checking to make sure the top of the cake is totally baked. You can tell by looking or by inserting a cake tester into the top of the loaf and making sure that it comes out dry.
Remove from the oven. Cool in the pan for a few minutes then remove it to a wire rack to cool.
I always use Crisco to grease my pans. I thoroughly rub with a paper towel all over the inside of the pan. Then I add a tablespoon of flour and tap the pan around until the flour is coating all areas of the pan. I add more flour if needed and I look for any spot where the flour has not stuck to the pan. If there are spots, I add Crisco and then more flour to that spot. You don't want to lose a piece of your loaf because it stuck to the pan!
You can bake the banana bread in 3 mini loaf pans as well. Follow the same instructions for greasing and flouring your pans. These pans will take about 2 cups of batter and need about 35 minutes of baking time.